9 ways to reboot your digital marketing for the new year
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
I love January. Not for its weather, mind you (I live in New Jersey, after all). I love it because it means a reboot of all of my digital media properties. I have the chance to tweak copy and settings and establish new best practices.
It's a bit geeky, but it makes me feel good.
So while most people are making and breaking their New Year's resolutions about this time, I'm setting the stage for a fantastic year. I step back and take a critical look at my brand and all digital assets and ask myself if it's all hanging together. I evaluate each process to make sure it's as efficient as it can be.
Then, I do more than set a new resolution. I make it happen.
Here are 9 ways to refresh your digital marketing for 2015.
- Digital assets. Businesses change over time. It's inevitable. But sometimes we're too busy to notice the inconsistencies we've unwittingly let happen. Review all of the content and images you're using on your social media profiles and website. Does it all fit together and tell the right story?
- Website. When was the last time you looked at your About copy and other static pages? Refresh all statistics and facts about your company, brand, products, and services. Change the copyright to 2015.
- Social media. Review all your social media accounts. Update your profile copy and contact information. Determine if you need or want new cover photos and profile images.
- Reputation check – Review media clips and search engine results to understand what is being said about you and your business across the Internet. What issues are you associated with? Make a plan to steer the conversation where you want it to go.
- Data – Audit your customer databases and email lists. Remember that "garbage in is garbage out," and take the time to clean up the data. Do you really want to be sending your email newsletter addressed to "Dearest Null?" in 2015?
- Personal brand – Like it or not, your business and your personal brand are intertwined. Review all of your profiles, and bring them up to date. This includes bios, social networking sites, your resume, and even your email signature.
- Privacy – Be sure you know exactly what you're sharing on social networks and with whom. Like your smoke alarm's batteries, make sure you check your privacy settings at least twice a year.
- Email – Tired of receiving too many irrelevant emails? Unsubscribe. No digital marketer wants to send newsletters to the wrong target buyers. Those unsubscribes make room for people who are truly interested.
- Education – What do you need to know in 2015 and where can you learn it? Do you want to learn how to interview like a journalist or develop a more effective search marketing strategy? There's no shortage of places to turn.
These checks and tweaks don't involve a lot of time, but they will refresh your digital marketing and give 2015 a fresh start.
|About the Author:
Diane S. Thieke is the founder of Simply Talk Media, a PR, marketing, and social media consultancy. With more than 25 years in digital media, she works with clients to develop their digital communications strategies and stay ahead of the changes in both social and traditional media.